- Contact us
Debra R. Reinhart, PhD, PE, BCEE
Assistant VP for Research
Office of Research and Commercialization
Millican Hall 243
Orlando, Florida 32816
Tel: (407) 823-2315
Fax : (407) 882-1156
PhD GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
(Atlanta, Georgia). Environmental Engineering, March 1989.
MS GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
(Atlanta, Georgia). M.S. in Sanitary Engineering, December 1980.
BS FLORIDA TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
(Orlando, Florida). Engineering, Summa Cum Laude, June 1976.
(Winter Park, Florida). September 1972 through May 1974.
Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Research
Landfills as Renewable Energy Parks
As Florida's Premier Research Centers — Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) and Hinkley Center for Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (HCSHWM) — are leading the research and development efforts to preserve and protect the state's natural resources and bring the vision of Energy Independence to fruition.
Leachate management is expensive and challenging for landfill operators. Wastewater treatment operators are refusing to accept leachate with increasing frequency due to operational challenges even though the specific impacts on effluent quality are not well understood. The goal of this proposed research is to study the nature and fate of recalcitrant, UV-absorbing, and nitrogen-containing organic compounds in leachate that is co-treated with domestic wastewater.
- Berge, N. B, Debra R. Reinhart, John D. Dietz, and Tim Townsend (2007) "The Impact of Temperature and Gas-Phase Oxygen on Kinetics of In-Situ Ammonia Removal in Bioreactor Landfill Leachate," Water Research (accepted for Publication).
- Faour, A., D. R. Reinhart, and H. You, (2007) "First-Order Gas Generation Model Parameters for Wet Landfills," Waste Management (Accepted for Publication).
- Imhoff, P.T. Debra R. Reinhart, Marja Englund, Roger Guérin, Nitin Gawande, Byunghyun Han, Sreeram Jonnalagadda, Timothy G. Townsend, Ramin Yazdani, "Review Of State Of The Art Methods For Measuring Water In Landfills," (2007) Waste Management, in press.
- Powell, J., Jain, P., Kim, H., Townsend, T., Reinhart, D. (2006) "Changes in landfill gas quality as a result of controlled air injection." Environmental Science and Technology, 40: 1029-1034.
- Lindberg, S.E. G. Southworth, M. Bogle, T. Blasing, H. Zhang, T. Kuiken, J. Price, D. Reinhart, H. Sfeir, J. Owens, and K. Roy (2005). Airborne Missions of Mercury from Municipal Solid Waste- I: New Measurements from Six Operating Landfills in Florida. JAWMA 55: 859-869.
- Southworth, G. S. Lindberg, M. Bogle, H. Zhang, T. Kuiken, J. Price, D. Reinhart, and H. Sfeir (2005) "Airborne Emissions of Mercury from Municipal Solid Waste II: Potential Losses of Airborne Mercury Prior to Landfill," JAWMA 55: 870-877.
- Eun, S., D. R. Reinhart, T. Townsend, C. D. Cooper (2007) "Modeling and Measurement of Hydrogen Emissions at C&D Landfills," Waste Management, , 27(2): 220-227.
- Berge, N.D., Reinhart, D.R., and Townsend, T.G. (2005) "A Review of The Fate of Nitrogen In Bioreactor Landfills," Critical Reviews In Environmental Science And Technology 35:365-399.
- Berge, N.D., Reinhart, D.R., Dietz, J., and Townsend, T.G. (2006) "In-Situ Ammonia Removal from Bioreactor Landfill Leachate," Waste Management 26: 334-343.
- Jain P, J. Powell, T. Townsend, D. Reinhart (2005) "Air Permeability of Waste in a Municipal Solid Waste Landfill," ASCE JEE 131(11), 1565-1573.
- Nitin A. Gawande, D. Reinhart, P. McCreanor, T. Townsend, P. Thomas (2003) "Municipal Solid Waste In Situ Moisture Content Measurement Using An Electrical Resistance Sensor Design and Operation Of Bioreactor Landfills," Waste Management, 23(7): 667-674, 2003.
- D. Reinhart, T. Townsend, and P. McCreanor, "The Status of Bioreactor Landfills" (2002) Waste Management and Research, 20: 67-81.
- S. E. Lindberg, D. Wallschlager, E.M. Prestbo, N.S Bloom, J. Price, And D. Reinhart (2001) "Methylated Mercury Species In Municipal Waste Landfill Gas Sampled In Florida," Atmospheric Envir., 35(8): 4011.
- C. L. Geiger, D. R. Reinhart, C. A. Clausen, Ruiz, N. E., and J. W. Quinn (2000) "Ultrasound Pretreatment of Elemental Iron: Kinetic Studies of Dehalogenation Reaction Enhancement and Surface Effects," Water Research, 36(5): 1342-1350, 2001.
- Ruiz, N, S. Seal, and D. Reinhart, (2000) "Surface Chemical Reactivity in Selected Iron Samples Used In Remediation Technology," Journal of Hazardous Materials, B80: 107-117.
- P. McCreanor and D. Reinhart (1999) "Hydrodynamic Modeling of Leachate Recirclating Landfill," Waste Management and Research, 17: 465-469.
- D. Reinhart and P. McCreanor (2000) "Medical Waste Management: Where does the Solid Waste Go?" Laboratory Medicine, 31(3): 141-145.
- P. McCreanor and D. R. Reinhart (2000) "Mathematical Modeling of Leachate Recirculating Landfill," Water Research, 34(4): 1285-1295.
- H. Sfeir, D. R. Reinhart, P. McCauley-Bell (1999) "An Evaluation of MSW Composition Study Bias Sources," Air and Waste Management Association Journal, 49: 174-185.
- P. McCauley-Bell, D. R. Reinhart, H. Sfeir, B. O. Ryan (1997) "Municipal Solid Waste Composition Studies," ASCE Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, 1(4): 158-163.
- J. W. Quinn, and D. R. Reinhart (1997) "Bioremediation of Diesel Contaminated Soil Using Biopiles," ASCE Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, 1(1): 18-25.
- McCreanor, P. T. and D. R. Reinhart (1996) "Hydrodynamic Modeling of Leachate Recirculation," Water, Science, and Technology, 34(7-8): 463-470.
- Reinhart, D.R., (1996) "Full-Scale Experiences with Leachate Recirculating Landfills - Case Studies," Waste Management and Research, 14: 347.
- Reinhart, D.R. and B. A. Al-Yousfi, (1996) "The Impact of Leachate Recirculation of MSW Landfill Leachate and Gas Characteristics," Waste Management and Research, 14: 337.
- Reinhart, D. R. and Scott Trainor (1995) "Windrow Cocomposting of Municipal Biosolids and Yard Waste," Compost Science, 3(2): 38.
- Reinhart, D.R. et al. (1994) "Landfill Leachate Treatment for Biological Nutrient Removal from Wastewater," Int. J. of Environment and Pollution, 4(1/2): 97.
- Reinhart, D.R., et al (1993) "Composting of Yard Waste and Wastewater Treatment Plant Sludge Mixtures," Compost Science 1(2)58.
- Reinhart, D. R. (1993) "A Review of Recent Studies on the Sources of Hazardous Compounds Emitted from Municipal Solid Waste Landfills: A US Experience," Waste Management and Research, 11, 257.
- Reinhart, D. R. et al (1992) "Controlling Factors of Stabilization Rates for Yard Waste Composting in Southeastern United States," The Journal of Resource Management and Technology, 20(3) 149.
- Reinhart, D.R.; Cooper, C.D.; Walker, B.L. (1992) "Flux Chamber Design and Operation for the Measurement of Municipal Solid Waste Landfill Gas Emission Rates," Air and Waste Management Journal, 42(8): 1067.
- Reinhart, D.R. and Pohland, F.G. (1991) "The Fate of Selected Organic Pollutants Codisposed with Municipal Refuse," WPCF Research Journal, 63(4): 780.
- Reinhart, D.R. and Pohland, F.G.,(1991) "The Assimilation of Organic Hazardous Wastes Codisposed with Municipal Refuse," Journal of Industrial Microbiology, 8: 193.
- Reinhart, D.R., et al (1991) "Mathematical Fate Modeling of Hazardous Organic Pollutants During Codisposal with Municipal Refuse," Hazardous Waste & Hazardous Materials, 8(1): 85.
- Richards, J.T. and Reinhart, D.R. (1986) "Evaluation of Plastic Media in Trickling Filters," Journal Water Pollution Control Federation, 58(7): 774.
- Morales, L. and Reinhart, D.R. (1984) "Full-Scale Evaluation of Aerated Grit Chambers," Journal Water Pollution Control Federation, 56(4): 337.
- Troxler, R., Reinhart, D.R., and Hallum, A., (1984) "Metro Atlanta Water Pollution Control -A Decade of Progress," Journal Water Pollution Control Federation, 56(4): 337.
- Reinhart, D.R., (1979) "Nitrification Treatability Study for Carrollton, Georgia," Journal Water Pollution Control Federation, 51(5): 1032.
- Solid Waste Management (ENV 4341)
- Fate and Transport of Subsurface Contaminant (ENV 6055)
- Landfill Design (ENV 4300)
Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Research
Landfill Bioreactor Design & Operation
by Debra R. Reinhart and Timothy G. Townsend
Foundations of Environmental Engineering
by C. David Cooper, John Dietz, Debra R. Reinhart
Solid Waste Engineering
by P. Aarne Vesilind, William A. Worrell, Debra R. Reinhart
Quality Assurance: A National Commitment
by R. Nivargikar and D. R. Reinhart, ed., ASCE Press, Washington D.C., 1997.